The William Hutton Prize is an annual cash prize provided by The Law Society to a person within either The Tees Valley Law Society or The Sunderland Law Society constituency. The prize had been dormant for a number of years so we were thrilled to bring it back in 2018.
The 2019 William Hutton Prize will be awarded at the Tees Valley Law Society's Annual Dinner, which takes place on 6 March 2020, and we are now inviting applications for that Prize. We are also seeking to broaden the field of applicants this year, so please share this information with any trainee colleagues or others who may be eligible, and encourage them to apply.
This award is open to any person...:
- who was studying the LPC at Northumbria University or another institution in the North East region of England during 2019; or
- who secured or undertook a training contract with a legal practice in the constituency of either The Tees Valley Law Society or The Sunderland Law Society* during 2019.
* as The Law Society sees fit
Those wishing to be considered for the William Hutton Prize should submit a letter of application to email@example.com no later than 14 February 2020. Postal applications can be sent to TVLS' postal address, shown at the bottom of this page.
The letter must demonstrate evidence of the following (500 words max. per section):
- Excellent legal skills;
- Significant development during training (this covers training contract period and any previous paralegal experience);
- Client service skills;
- Initiative; and
- Contribution to the business.
Please also include a brief biography outlining past experience and any relevant qualifications (additional 500 words max.).