For many years, TVLS’ Annual Dinner has been an opportunity for the Society, along with its members and supporters, to “give something back” to the community by raising funds for good causes. The beneficiary of this year’s Dinner, being held on Friday 8 March, will be the Alzheimer’s Society, who are the only UK charity that campaigns for change, funds research to find a cure, and supports people living with dementia.
Dementia is caused by diseases of the brain, and the sad fact is that one in three people born today will develop dementia, and by 2021 one million people in the UK will be living with the disease. With statistics like these, it’s clear that dementia is a disease most of us are likely to encounter first-hand at some time in our lives, whether with a personal diagnosis or the diagnosis of a family member or friend. Every three minutes someone in the UK develops dementia, and whilst people can still live well with the disease, it has now become the UK’s biggest killer, with an estimated cost to the economy of £26.3 billion - nearly twice that of cancer.
Despite these statistics, not enough money is being invested in dementia research:
- For every four cancer researchers there is only one dementia researcher
- For every pound spent caring for someone with dementia in the UK, less than 1p is spent on dementia this, for every four cancer researchers there is only one dementia researcher.
The Alzheimer’s Society is committed to spending at least £150 million over the next decade on research into dementia care, cure and prevention. To fulfil this commitment it needs your support…:
- £245 could improve the confidence and communication skills of 30 people affected by dementia
- £1,040 could support people with dementia to keep doing activities they love and try new things; volunteers support people with dementia to do whatever they enjoy, from going to a football match to visiting a café for lunch.
- £4,300 could allow Helpline Advisors to give the best possible support to thousands of families dealing with dementia, by paying for vital training for an entire year
- £8,900 could launch a crucial campaign to tackle the most pressing issues faced by people affected by dementia today
- £16,900 could help the Alzheimer’s Society to explore the link between dementia and delirium and work towards preventing the condition, by paying for one year of memory tests in a research project.
Helping TVLS to support the Alzheimer's Society couldn't be easier, nor more fun! Simply join us at our Annual Dinner at Jurys Inn, Middlesbrough, on Friday 8 March, and enjoy an evening of good company, great food and brilliant entertainment. The more who do so, the more we will be able to donate to this most deserving of good causes. You can book your seats or tables using our online booking form, or by downloading, completing and returning the printable booking form. But don’t delay - bookings must be received by 8 February.
We hope to see you there!